Hurricane Season 2017: Harvey, Irma and Maria
- The 2017 hurricane season saw three major hurricanes hit the US
- Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria caused insured damage of $80bn to $100bn
- The storms will have a major impact on industry trends in 2018
Latest articles on hurricanes
Hurricane Harvey: an unprecedented flood
- Harvey made landfall in Texas in August 2017 as a category 4 hurricane
- Record-breaking rainfall meant Harvey caused unprecented flooding
- Insured loss estimates are estimated at $30bn but could still rise
Uncertainty over industry loss continues amid warnings the recovery 'could take years'
Hurricane Irma: Florida's record-breaking storm
- Hurricane Irma hit Florida in September 2017 and will potentially become the state's costliest storm
- Claims have been reported across the state as a result of Irma, which is expected to cost insurers $30bn or more
- Losses would likely have topped $100bn had Irma followed a track along Florida's Atlantic coast
The perception of risk is changing and in the long term may be the most significant after-effect of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season
The Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility has paid out more than $50m to members during the 2017 hurricane season. Isaac Anthony, chief executive of CCRIF, talks to Insurance Day on the role the facility plays in the aftermath of disasters
Hurricane Maria: Devastation in Puerto Rico
- Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico as a category 4 hurricane causing major devastation
- A wide range of insured loss estimates are now converging around a $30bn damage bill
- Much of Puerto Rico remains without power months after the storm hit
Modelled loss estimates for Maria remain far apart despite agreement the island's residential building stock likely performed fairly well
The market is set to post a big loss for 2017 but has a struggle on to ensure it achieves vital rate rises next year
Conditions should pick up in the US property/casualty market next year but exactly how far the improvement extends remains to be seen
Latest From Hurricane Season
More than 900,000 claims have been filed in the state
International expansion is just one sign of change in Japan’s insurance industry
Major losses represented the defining issue for reinsurers in 2017 and the market continues to grapple with determining the cost and how it can respond
All set! This article has been sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All fields are required. For multiple recipients, separate email addresses with a semicolon.
Please Note: Only individuals with an active subscription will be able to access the full article. All other readers will be directed to the abstract and would need to subscribe.